At the recent BOOT Show, Subal, Nauticam, BS Kinetics and others were showing or offering new TTL circuitry that enables both electric and fiber optic TTL (and manual) triggering of strobes. Wetpixel has done a little digging, and can now reveal the actual specifications of the board. Currently available only for Nikon cameras, and for use with Z240 and YS-D1/D2 strobes, there are plans to launch versions for Canon and perhaps Sony, as well as for additional strobes.
For specific compatibility, please contact the manufacturer or your local housing dealer.
Optical & Wire TTL-Converter for underwater photo housings (for Nikon)
UW TECHNICS group of companies proudly introduce our new product:
“Optical & Wire TTL-Converter”. New TTL system is developed to incorporate it to underwater photo housings for Nikon cameras, including Nikon D4/s, D5, D500, D600/610, D750, D7000, D7100, D7200, D800/E, D810 and others.
UW TECHNICS TTL-Converter is the first product on the market which incorporates Optical TTL and Wire TTL system in one device, for simultaneous or separate work.
We also insert a new term in underwater photo technics: “Mixed TTL”. It means that user can control one strobe by “Optical TTL” and other strobe by “Wire TTL” simultaneously and get perfect quality underwater pictures.
We offer 3 versions of TTL-Converter for different underwater strobe types:
- version – for Inon Z-240 and Sea&Sea YS-D1, YS-D2.
- version – for Ikelite DS-161, DS-160.
- version – for Sea&Sea YS-250.
Specifications (for version 1)
- Compatible photo cameras: All Nikon DSLR cameras
- Compatible underwater housings: Many. (Refer to specific manufacturer for details).
- Compatible underwater strobes: Inon Z-240, Sea&Sea YS-D1, YS-D2
- TTL outputs: 2 optical LEDs, 2 electric wire connectors.
- Maximum Fiber-optic cable length for “TTL” operation: 3m.
- Maximum Fiber-optic cable length for “MANUAL” operation: 35m.
- Fiber-optic cable type: Single-core cables, multi-core cables.
- Camera pop-up flash operation: Also available (only for manual synchronization).
- ISO camera range: 50….25600.
- Serial shooting: Available.
- Switching “ON/OFF”: Automatic by camera command.
- Battery type: CR2032 (2pcs.)
- Battery capacity (+20°C): 5-7 years, or 75,000 flashes.
- Operation temperature: -30°C to +40°C.
- Dimensions of main board: 63mm x 50mm x 13mm.
- Weight: 25g (excl. batteries).
Easy installation into underwater housing. User have to screw only 2 bolts to mount the device.
Specially for TTL protocol reliable work we developed a new design hot shoe connector, which ensures super high quality connection for all 5 data lines. New hot shoe connector includes gold plated springs, gold plated PCB, stainless steel pins and frame.
External cable connections to underwater strobes
All types of TTL synchronization are available with TTL-Converter. Possible to connect 2 optical-fiber cables and 2 electric wire cables, separately or together. Twin cables are also supported at each output.
For Electric Wire operation with underwater strobes UW TECHNICS produces electric bulkheads for all popular connector types: Nikonos-V, S6, Ikelite.
Some other brand bulkheads are also compatible with PCB sockets, for example Subal bulkheads and others, which have “Micromatch-6” connector on the flat cable end.
Regarding production for OEM or further details, please email.