Cousteau vessel to be restored
Peru to protect Giant Manta Ray population
On December 31st, Peru’s Ministry of Production passed new protections for the Giant Manta Rays known to inhabit the country’s surrounding waters. The law bans the fishing of manta rays as well requiring the immediate release of any manta ray bycatch. The regulations come after international attention was given to a 26 foot manta caught by Peruvian fishermen last spring.
Nikon announces the D500 DX camera
Nikon has finally announced a new pro DX (cropped sensor) camera. The D500 features a 20.9 megapixel sensor with the EXPEED 5 image processing engine. It has Nikon’s new Multicam 20K AF system, a native ISO range from 100 to 51200 and UHD video at 30/25/24p frame rates. There is a thread developing on the Wetpixel forum discussing the camera’s new features.
Results: Ocean Art 2015
The 2015 Ocean Art contest has announced its results. Many congratulations to Jeff Milisen who was awarded Best of Show for his stunning super macro image of a larval cusk eel (Ophidiidae sp) shot during a black water dive off Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, USA. As always, additional congratulations to all those who achieved placings in the contest.
Sony adds new action cam
Sony has added a new action camera to its line. The HDR-AS50 has an 11.1 megapixel sensor with an image stabilized Zeiss Tessar lens. It can record HD video at 50Mbps as well as 4K timelapses. The AS50 has a dedicated live-view remote and a 60m rated underwater housing (MPK-UWH1).
Sony announces 4K Handycam
At the CES show, Sony has announced a new 4k Handycam camcorder and two new HD models. The FDR-AX53 has a new lens and sensor with an enhanced A algorithm that provides 40% faster focusing. It has assignable manual functions and a bit rate of 100Mbps. The HDR-CX675 and HDR-CX455 are HD camcorders that have 5 axis optical stabilization.
Borneo from Below: Parrotfish
Borneo from Below has released their latest episode online. This week Bertie explores the world of parrotfish in Borneo.
Nikon surprises with the KeyMission 360
n a surprising move, Nikon has entered the action camera market. The KeyMission 360 can record true 360° video in 4K UHD and is equipped with “electronic vibration reduction” which “reduces the effects of camera shake”. It is waterproof to 30m (98 ft) without a housing.
- Olympus updates firmware for the E-M1X, adding features from the… (via )
- Skylum updates Luminar to version 3.1.1 (via )
- Blackmagic Design releases Resolve 16 Beta 3 (via )
- Sony updates firmware for: a9, a7R III, a7 III, a7R II, a7S II,… (via )
- Nikon updates Z6 and Z7 cameras firmwares to 2.0 (via )
- Nikon updates firmware on D850, D7500 and D5600 SLR cameras (via )
- Nikon updates D500 “C” firmware to version 1.2 (via )
- Canon updates EOS R firmware to 1.2.0 (via )
- Nikon D850 Lightroom import issues with certain files and… (via )
- Sony updates a7/a7R III firmware to version 3.0 (via )