Racing Extinction at Vatican City
Racing Extinction took its message to Vatican City last night by projecting images of endangered species and threatened ecosystems onto the Basilica at St. Peter’s. Watched by the Pope and crowds of visitors, the pictures were cast onto the white facade of the famous building by fifty giant projectors situated on huge towers.
Video: Wild Oceans Octopus
Borneo from Below: Episode 19
Call to action: NOAA bungles shark management plans in Florida
A coalition of Florida based shark divers launched a campaign asking NOAA to reconsider their decision to open commercial fishing for sharks in the Jupiter area from 1 January 2016, during the breeding aggregation of large sharks in the area. NOAA’s response thus far has been to obfuscate and blame shift.
Image: Mystical Forest by Tracey Jennings
Sea Save Fundraising Auction now open
Scientists show what dolphins see through echolocation
Scientists have successfully used echolocation recordings from dolphins to physically recreate objects tested during experiments. For the first time ever this gives humans a glimpse into what dolphins “see” when they echolocate upon objects underwater.
Video: Paddle boarder has near miss with whale
A paddle boarder in Santa Cruz had quite a scare when a humpback whale surfaced within inches of his board. The whale was feeding and the entire incident was caught on video. Remarkably the paddle boarder was not injured and even managed to stay on his board.
- Bioluminescence: nature lights up (via BBC)
- Chernobyl mammals tracked in snow (via BBC)
- Audio slideshow: Exploring Africa (via BBC)
- The amazing wildlife of Africa (via BBC)
- The secret lives of giants (via BBC)
- In pictures: midwinter magic (via BBC)
- Jack W. Lavanchy awarded EUF Honorary Vice President title (via African Diver)
- Mapping the world’s vertebrates (via BBC)
- In pictures: Celebrating ecology (via BBC)
- Our World Underwater and DEEP Indonesia (via African Diver)