Seacam ships housing for Sony a7 Mark III
Atomos to ship Ninja V soon
Atomos will be shipping their Ninja V 4K HDR monitor/recorder by the end of September. Designed to work with the new crop of mirrorless cameras, it offers a 5 inch, 1000 nit monitor and 10 plus stops of dynamic range. Recording is to Atomos AtomX SSDmini drives, as well as existing MasterCaddy 2 compatible media.
Japanese bid to lift whaling ban fails
Blackmagic Design releases RAW codec
Blackmagic Design has released a public beta of their new RAW codec. Incorporated into the URSA Mini Pro camera beta update, part of the de-mosaic process will be handled in camera. This, Blackmagic states offers: “The quality, bit depth, dynamic range and controls as RAW, but with much better performance and smaller file sizes than most popular video codecs.”
Paper calls for ban on shark fin consumption and trade
A paper authored by researchers at the the University of Hong Kong and published in the journal Marine Policy has found that only 12% of shark fisheries can be considered sustainable. This means that 25,000 tons of shark fin on the market is obtained from unsustainable sources.
Video: Scott Portelli discusses shooting Humpback heat run
Australian underwater photographer Scott Portelli discusses shooting a humpback whale heat run in Tonga earlier this year. He was in the water with 15 adult humpback whales as they came barreling toward him and still managed to get the shot. The video includes underwater and aerial footage of the heat run as well as Portelli discussing what it takes to get the shot in a humpback whale heat run.
Canon announces XF705 4K camcorder
The Ocean Cleanup System 001 has been launched in the San Francisco Bay
The Ocean Cleanup Project launched its first working system to the Pacific Ocean through the San Francisco Bay on September 8, 2018. The Ocean Cleanup Project is a nonprofit organization that is working on a solution to cleaning up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch using ocean currents. The organization was begun in 2013 by Boyan Slat. The Dutch based non-profit seeks to clean-up the GPGP in five years time.
- Plastic bag found at the bottom of the Mariana trench (via )
- A closer look at the taxidermy anteater photo (via )
- Photo of an osprey with a shark with a fish (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom Classic to 7.3.1 (via )
- Sony updates a7 Mark III firmware to 1.01 (via )
- There is a brewery that ages beer underwater in the Adriatic Sea (via )
- Canon has released firmware 18.104.22.168.00 for the Cinema EOS C200… (via )
- Canon updates EOS 1-D X Mark II firmware to 1.1.6 (via )
- A wildlife photographer’s gear stash (via )
- Nikon updates D5 firmware to version 1.21 (via )